Sunday, March 15, 2009

Prenatal Arrogance

In my present state of loving March Madness and hating all of those going to SXSW in Austin (this includes you Carina), I offer you a band bringing a similarly confusing dichotomy of artistic and hard rock - Evaline. 

Evaline began in Turlock, California in 2001 under the unoriginal moniker "Holiday". That's right. Their name was just...Holiday.  They must have just poured all of their creative energy into making music. At least that is excuse I am making for them. 

First, before we get to the good music that is Evaline, is anyone else enthralled by the town name "Turlock."  I don't know why, but I imagine some one-eyed giant monster that has the mental capacity of Lenny from Of Mice and Men.  "Turlock ... SMASH."  Evaline, then "Holiday", should have just named themselves Turlock to the delight of myself and marketer/t-shirt makers worldwide.

To date, Evaline has released an 6-song EP - Postpartum Modesty: A Portrait of Skin.  The piano driven alt-rock EP provides a diverse fist-full of songs that are sporadic at times, but a fantastic effort in the aggregate. Produced by the Used's Quinn Allman, you can hear the Warped Tour influences of the experienced rocker - hard choruses surrounded by flowing guitars and hard rhythm sections.  

The EP opens with the vocal stirrings of "La De Da", but never really returns to this ambient stage.  The remainder of the EP is dedicated to more alternative musings reminiscent of Dredg or MuteMath.

Although I am a huge fan of the EP, the new demos released on the band's Myspace leave me wanting.  I am hoping that the sophomore effort provides more than what the demos seem to offer.  

I'll leave this entry on that negative note.  Primarily because I am upset at Evaline as they get to attend SXSW (See above).  Yes folks -  I'm just that shallow.  

No comments:

Post a Comment