Sunday, March 29, 2009

From Russia with Love

I am happy to welcome Alexi Murdoch into my life. Surely, you will not deny him from yours.

Oddly, I half-expected Mr. Murdoch's music to be a quasi-communist mix of the sounds of tears and waiting in long lines for bread, but was pleasantly surprised to find a careful mix of Dallas Green and any number of optimistic indie-folksters.  My favorite diddy so far is his appropriately-named, airy tribute to Matt Wertz, "Breathe."

I cannot, in good conscience, claim that I stumbled upon Alexi under my own expert music-discovery skillz (with a "z"). I was fortunate to find this little trailer which features Alexi's "go live life" song - All of my days.  On an aside, the movie, Away We Go, looks fantastic. I'm excited to see John Krasinski in something other than the underwhelming "Leatherheads." And, holy crap, how many amazing cameos can you throw into one film. Excited to say the least.

Speaking of films, Alexi's song "Through the Dark" was featured in Ben Affleck's Gone Baby Gone. I guess his music just has that movie-magic draw.

So, Mr. Murdoch is not a Ruskie, but rather a London-born Scottsman who somehow brings me back to any number of pubs I found lamenting song-writers in on the West Coast of Ireland. Although I am sure I am offending millions of Scotts-people by comparing them to their Irish neighbors, I'm pretty sure they can't get over here to kick my ars. I mean, come on, there's an ocean between us.

I would highly suggest checking out Mr. Murdoch if you are in the mood for some good study leveled music or while staring into a pint whilst contemplating life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment