Sunday, January 25, 2009

Break out the glow sticks

I don't know what it is, but every time I turn on the radio - oh who am I kidding, I fire up my internet machine - I hear some band adding a 5th member, who was previously known as "manager Steve," bringing in the Korg they bought from a garage sale last Saturday off Van Nuys, and dubbing themselves electronica rockers. 

Although I consider myself a person with very limited knowledge in the world of electronica, I did dabble in an a cappella techno group in college. We couldn't handle our quick rise to success. It was like No Doubt - our "soloist", Dave, was on the cover of every magazine and the remaining members of the group all got jealous. In late 2003, after only being on the scene for a year, the magazine "A Cappella Techno Weekly" put out a raving (yes, pun, check) article about Dave selling out.  He is a sell out. WE DON'T NEED CHOREOGRAPHED DANCE SEQUENCES DAVE! 

Eventually we broke up, but we remain friends...right. 

Well, notwithstanding my nonsensical rants, I have noticed a good amount of programming-based rock entering the scene.  Tooth and Nail's most recent signing are just that - enter And Then There Were None. ("ATTWN").  I'll have to admit I am not behind throwing a bunch of prepositions in a band name, they are decent enough to check out.  While listening to them, I find myself more and more interested in finding a big industrial storage unit and throwing a little partay to 6 hours of loud beats with the sounds of whales mating playing over it.  

After a couple signings that were simply sticking with the same old standard, I think ATTWN will be a welcome change.  First, because nothing says rock like 5 white kids from New Hampshire.  Second, its just something different. Like I have heard multiple times, "this world needs a new 'Power Pop.'" Maybe this electro-techno-raveish rock is just that. 

For fans of Ghostland Observatory,  Seattle's own Sleepy Eyes of Death, and Settings - ATTWN is just for your ears.  I, personally, can't wait to see them live.  Now...just need to work on my ol' glow stick skillz (with a z). 


1 comment:

  1. "While listening to them, I find myself more and more interested in finding a big industrial storage unit and throwing a little partay to 6 hours of loud beats with the sounds of whales mating playing over it." Hilarious...couldn't stop laughing.

    ReplyDelete